Gwydion's Portfolio

One of the perks to being married is getting to show off my manly fix-it skills to get stuff crossed off the “honey-do” list. Wife wanted a door mounted spice rack? Wife gets a door mounted spice rack! Without putting holes in the rental cabinets, no less! A little duct tape, some cardboard, and some command hooks let me rig this up in under an hour. There’s a clear tape barrier across the front, so you can see the labels and not worry about anything falling out, I just used 2 pieces face to face so it wouldn’t stick to the canisters. I wish I’d used a different brand of tape, though- a couple days after I put it up, the Scotch brand tape started peeling and coming loose, and I had to reinforce it. The Scotch tape may have some different patterns, but the plastic stretches when you try to tear it, and the glue really doesn’t stick well. Don’t think I’ll be using that any more, which is a shame because I really liked the snakeskin pattern stuff! (You listening, Duck Tape? You’ve got white, pink, and green zebra stripe, how about some gator skin and wood grain patterns?)

Finally settled into the new home in PA, and getting back around to making and posting stuff! The shops are back open, and here’s my latest addition: boffer spoons!

Gwydion’s Forest will be closed temporarily while we relocate to our new home in PA. We hope to re-open by or before Friday, February 7th! In the meantime, you can still take a look at the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GwydionsForest) or contact Don the shop owner at beowulphx@gmail.com. Thanks for stopping by!

found pics of a boffer project I had almost forgotten about! I had an idea for some oversized boffer “hands”, for use with monsters that wouldn’t have swords or other weapons. I used a pvc frame and pool noodles for the fingers, which allowed me to position them into a sort of neutral open grasping pose. I thought thad would make them able to “catch” a swinging sword, and maybe even twist it enough to disarm a person, but the pvc proved too fragile at the joints. I tried shortening the fingers into something closer to a bear or cat’s paws, but they still weren’t quite sturdy enough to be safe. Next time, I think I’ll use the layered fabric backed foam without a core, since that seems to be able to take a lot more abuse!

Pics of the most recent custom boffer order I got through my shop.  A woman wanted a pair of weapons for her cosplay character “Raize Kor” and sent me a picture and drawing of her basic design. after working with her a bit to flesh out the dimensions, this is what I came up with! I really like the concept, I think it would make for some really interesting combat and maybe even a unique fighting style! I may have to adapt this into something larp-legal for myself!

Here’s a custom word tower I did as a gift for two of my favorite people. :-) It was an interesting challenge in that one name is longer than the other, as opposed to the majority of the towers I make that have words of the same length. This one worked out nicely as a 2 to 1 ratio, so I was able to keep the divisions between letters cleaner. Hope they like it!

Here’s a custom word tower I did as a gift for two of my favorite people. :-) It was an interesting challenge in that one name is longer than the other, as opposed to the majority of the towers I make that have words of the same length. This one worked out nicely as a 2 to 1 ratio, so I was able to keep the divisions between letters cleaner. Hope they like it!

Set of minimalist boffer swords I did as a custom order for a friend, for her small boys. each sword is about 2 ft long.

Set of minimalist boffer swords I did as a custom order for a friend, for her small boys. each sword is about 2 ft long.

This was an experimental piece I did with some scrap foam I had laying around. I wanted to make a skull that could be used as a dungeon prop, and ended up having it just the right size to wear as a helmet! It’s a snug fit, but the eye holes line up enough for me to see out of, and the jaw is articulated enough to become a sort of chin strap. I added a few details to try and make it look a bit more menacing, like teeth and a heavier brow, and then did a little spraypaint weathering. I think it opens up a lot of possibilities for roleplaying a monster or just having some remains for a party to stumble on!
Measures about 11” by 10” by 9”, fits an adult head (snugly) All fabric backed foam and duct tape.

Boffer Enchiridion! really pleased with how this came out, though I did cheat a bit for the cover art. I was rushed to make this in time for NY Comicon, but Felicia Day herself was impressed enough with it to call me a “supreme boffer smith” and autograph my roll of duct tape! (Still gotta make that boffer codex staff…)

A few of the boffer shields I’ve made. most have a plywood backing, but the large red and blue “elvish” design I built on a discarded foam sled. Next I want to make a lifesize throwable captain america shield!